Ant control can be very difficult, but there are some things you should know about how ants’ behavior can lead to big headaches for you, your family and your home:
- Entry: Ants can enter through the tiniest cracks, seeking water and greasy or sweet food substances in the kitchen pantry or storeroom areas.
- Scent trails: Ants leave an invisible chemical trail which contains pheromones for other ants to follow once they locate their food source.
- Nest locations: They can nest almost anywhere in and around your home; in lawns, walls, stumps, even under your homes foundation.
- Colony size: Ant colonies can number up to 300,000 to 500,000, and whole colonies can uproot and relocate quickly once threatened.
- Colony Lifetime: A colony can live a very long lifetime. Worker ants may live over seven years, and the queen may live longer then 15 years.
- Do-it-yourself ineffectiveness: Most do-it-yourself ant control approaches kill only the ants you are able to see. Some effective treatments can destroy nests to help prevent these pests from ever returning. Also, home remedies don’t take in to consideration the fact that different kinds of ant infestations require different treatments.